Privacy Talks Series
The Proposed EU Data Act: State of Play
From the General Data Protection Regulation to the California Consumer Privacy Act – and all the other new data protection frameworks arising in the US, Asia and Latin America – navigating the global data protection landscape is a challenge for most organizations. In this virtual series, Cooley practitioners will provide attendees with practical guidance and best practices around managing data protection-related issues. We’ll also keep you up to date on recent developments in the ever-evolving regulatory landscape.
Session 6: The Proposed EU Data Act: State of Play
The measures suggested by the proposed European Union Data Act would allow business-to-business and business-to-consumer users of connected devices – such as vehicles, home equipment, consumer goods, medical and health devices, and agricultural and industrial machinery – to gain access to data generated by such devices, which is often exclusively harvested by manufacturers, and to share this data with third parties to provide aftermarket or other data-driven innovative services. The main goals of the proposal are to facilitate access and use of data by different players while preserving incentives to invest in value generation through data; enable switching between cloud and edge services and provide for safeguards against unlawful data transfer without notification by the cloud service provider; and allow for the development of interoperability standards for data to be reused between sectors. Cooley lawyer Enrique Capdevila will lead this presentation.
Details and registration
For more information, please email Marissa Pilconis.
Privacy Talks programming
- February 16, 2023 – Session 1: Trends in Biometrics Legislation, Regulation and Litigation
- April 20, 2023 – Session 2: Privacy Governance as a Strategic Initiative
- May 25, 2023 – Session 3: GDPR Anniversary: 10 Things to Know About Last Year
- June 15, 2023 – Session 4: CPRA and US State Privacy Laws: A Mid-Year Update on the Regulations and Compliance Approaches
- October 19, 2023 – Session 5: Regulating Dark Patterns and Design
- December 14, 2023 – Session 6: The Proposed EU Data Act: State of Play