Privacy Talks Series
The Proposed EU Data Act: State of Play
From the General Data Protection Regulation to the California Consumer Privacy Act – and all the other new data protection frameworks arising in the US, Asia and Latin America – navigating the global data protection landscape is a challenge for most organizations. In this virtual series, Cooley practitioners will provide attendees with practical guidance and best practices around managing data protection-related issues. We’ll also keep you up to date on recent developments in the ever-evolving regulatory landscape.
Session 6: The Proposed EU Data Act: State of Play
The measures suggested by the proposed European Union Data Act would allow business-to-business and business-to-consumer users of connected devices – such as vehicles, home equipment, consumer goods, medical and health devices, and agricultural and industrial machinery – to gain access to data generated by such devices, which is often exclusively harvested by manufacturers, and to share this data with third parties to provide aftermarket or other data-driven innovative services. The main goals of the proposal are to facilitate access and use of data by different players while preserving incentives to invest in value generation through data; enable switching between cloud and edge services and provide for safeguards against unlawful data transfer without notification by the cloud service provider; and allow for the development of interoperability standards for data to be reused between sectors. Cooley lawyer Enrique Capdevila will lead this presentation.
Privacy Talks programming
- February 16, 2023 – Session 1: Trends in Biometrics Legislation, Regulation and Litigation
- April 20, 2023 – Session 2: Privacy Governance as a Strategic Initiative
- May 25, 2023 – Session 3: GDPR Anniversary: 10 Things to Know About Last Year
- June 15, 2023 – Session 4: CPRA and US State Privacy Laws: A Mid-Year Update on the Regulations and Compliance Approaches
- September 14, 2023 – Session 5: Meeting the CCPA’s Training Requirements
- October 19, 2023 – Session 6: Regulating Dark Patterns and Design
- December 14, 2023 – Session 7: The Proposed EU Data Act: State of Play