Privacy Talks Series
Regulating Dark Patterns and Design
From the General Data Protection Regulation to the California Consumer Privacy Act – and all the other new data protection frameworks arising in the US, Asia and Latin America – navigating the global data protection landscape is a challenge for most organizations. In this virtual series, Cooley practitioners provide attendees with practical guidance and best practices around managing data protection-related issues. We also keep you up to date on recent developments in the ever-evolving regulatory landscape.
Session 5: Regulating Dark Patterns and Design
Privacy regulators and new privacy laws are increasingly focused on regulating the design and flow of online services, including “dark patterns.” These requirements focus on the process of providing notice, obtaining consent, exercising data subject rights or making purchases – and whether the process encourages or forces certain privacy decisions by data subjects. The Federal Trade Commission recently levied one of its biggest fines ever, in part based on alleged “illegal dark patterns,” and in California, the California Age-Appropriate Design Code Act becomes effective on January 1, 2024. Lawyers and privacy professionals are increasingly sitting down with product development teams and engineers to analyze these new legal requirements and build products and services in a way that complies with law. This presentation highlighted current requirements and risk-based approaches for privacy compliance and product and service development.
Privacy Talks programming
- February 16, 2023 – Session 1: Trends in Biometrics Legislation, Regulation and Litigation
- April 20, 2023 – Session 2: Privacy Governance as a Strategic Initiative
- May 25, 2023 – Session 3: GDPR Anniversary: 10 Things to Know About Last Year
- June 15, 2023 – Session 4: CPRA and US State Privacy Laws: A Mid-Year Update on the Regulations and Compliance Approaches
- September 14, 2023 – Session 5: Meeting the CCPA’s Training Requirements
- October 19, 2023 – Session 6: Regulating Dark Patterns and Design
- December 14, 2023 – Session 7: The Proposed EU Data Act: State of Play