Heidi Keefe is a partner in the Cooley Litigation department and member of the Intellectual Property Litigation practice group. She joined the Firm in 2009 and is resident in the Palo Alto office.
Ms. Keefe represents clients in high-stakes patent trials before juries and judges. A former astrophysicist and registered patent attorney, she easily understands a variety of technical disciplines, from software to medical devices.
Ms. Keefe is frequently recognized as a leading lawyer. She was one of only twenty lawyers in the United States to be named to Law360's list of "Influential Women in IP Law" (2014). She has also been named one of the "Top 45 Women Attorneys in the U.S. under 45" by The American Lawyer, one of the "Top Intellectual Property Litigators" and "Top Women Litigators" by The Daily Journal, and one of Northern California's Super Lawyers. She is named a leading IP lawyer in California by Chambers USA 2016 and is ranked in the Best Lawyers in America guide in the category of IP Litigation (2016, 2015). Heidi is also recognized as being among the "Top 250 Women in IP" by Managing Intellectual Property (2016, 2014) and has been named to The Recorder's "Women Leaders in Technology Law" list (2013), which recognized 50 women attorneys in California who have "demonstrated leadership and expertise in solving the most pressing legal concerns technology companies can face." Furthermore, she was recognized as one of the "Top 20 Lawyers in California Under the Age of 40" by the San Francisco Daily Journal (2009) and the Los Angeles Daily Journal. She was also recognized as one of the "The Area's Best Lawyers" by Bay Area Lawyer magazine.
Named to the Daily Journal's "Top Women Lawyers" List.
Notable clients include:
- Facebook, Inc. (social networking website)
- HTC Corporation (smart phones, mobile-computing devices)
- LinkedIn Corporation (social professional networking website)
- Oplink Communications, Inc. (networking components)
- In-Three, Inc. (stereoscopic reconstruction)
- DVD Copy Control Association (copyright protection technology)
- Affymetrix (DNA microarrays)
- BNP Paribas (internet banking)
- Covidien Ltd. (healthcare devices and supplies)
- Microsoft Corporation (computer software)
- eBay Inc. (e-commerce, online auction technology)
- Megadyne Medical Products (electrosurgical products)
- Aureal Semiconductor (electronics)
- Hoffmann-La Roche, Inc. (healthcare products, pharmaceuticals)
- Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd. (electronics)
- Nanya Technology Corp. (DRAM products)
Ms. Keefe is a frequent lecturer on all aspects of Intellectual Property Protection. She has taught classes at Santa Clara University on IP Litigation and has conducted lectures at Boalt School of Law and Stanford Law School. Ms. Keefe speaks throughout the country for Law Seminars International, the ABA and the Practising Law Institute.
Ms. Keefe received a JD from Santa Clara University School of Law, graduating cum laude. She received her BA from Wellesley College, graduating cum laude.
Ms. Keefe is a member of the California State Bar, and is admitted to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and Ninth Circuit, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, U.S. District Court for the Central and Northern Districts of California and the Eastern District of Texas. Ms. Keefe is a member of the American Bar Association, Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Law Association and the Chair of the ABA Section of Science and Technology Law's Special Committee on Space Law.
- Santa Clara University School of Law
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- Registered to practice before the United States Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO)
- American Bar Association
- Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Law Association