I am a deal guy. I work with companies to help them leverage their intellectual property and technology in a commercial context.
Adam Ruttenberg focuses on technology transactions, including counseling, structuring and negotiating such deals in industries such as Artificial Intelligence (including Generative AI), cloud computing, big data, patent licensing, software, hardware, internet, new media and edtech. He has broad experience representing emerging companies and large corporate clients in technology and intellectual property matters.
Representative matters include:
- Domestic and international matters involving inbound and outbound licensing.
- Technology development, procurement and distribution agreements (software and hardware).
- Joint marketing, strategic alliances and collaboration agreements.
- Patent licenses.
- University licenses.
- Big data.
- Artificial Intelligence transactions and policies.
- Clean Energy transactions.
- Bioinformatics and health informatics transactions.
- Software and SaaS transactions.
- Cloud transactions.
- Digital media transactions.
- Data security and privacy counseling.
- Strategic counseling and dispute resolution.
- Open source counseling.
- Information technology and business process outsourcing.
His strategic counseling experience includes developing commercialization distribution and pricing strategies for companies and data acquisition and use strategies for artificial intelligence companies.
Prior to joining Cooley, Adam was the vice president of contracts and sales operations of MicroStrategy. Previously, he had been in private practice representing technology companies in information technology, hardware and biotechnology matters.
Adam has published numerous articles on business transactions, technology transfer, intellectual property and internet law, and he is a frequent speaker on these topics.
Washington University School of Law
JD, 1992, Order of the Coif
University of Minnesota
BS, 1989, Genetics and Microcell Biology
Admissions & credentials
District of Columbia
Rankings & accolades
The Legal 500 US: Hall of Fame for Technology Transactions (2023)
The Legal 500 US: Hall of Fame for Telecoms and Broadcast: Transactional (2023)
The Best Lawyers in America (2006-2019)
Legal 500: Technology Transactions (2008-2020); Hall of Fame – Technology Transactions and Telecoms and Broadcast (2021)
Legal 500: Hall of Fame, Media, Technology and Telecoms: Technology Transactions (2020 – 2021)
Washington Business Journal: Technology Transactions – DC area
IAM Licensing 250
IAM Patent 1000