Cooley Among Finalists for American Lawyer’s IP Litigation Department of the Year
Palo Alto – July 20, 2023 – Cooley has been named a finalist for The American Lawyer’s Litigation Department of the Year award in the Intellectual Property category, which recognizes the top five most successful IP litigation practices in the US over a two-year period. Winners will be announced at The American Lawyer’s annual awards gala in New York on November 15.
Cooley’s IP litigation practice is regularly called upon to litigate complex, high-stakes disputes involving technologies, products and brands that are the critical drivers of our clients’ businesses.
A sustained run of high-profile victories for leading global companies underscores the growth and breadth of Cooley's IP prowess. A few of the firm’s wins over the past two years include representations of:
- Meta, for which the firm secured a motion to dismiss in a trademark infringement lawsuit.
- Qualcomm, by fighting off multiple infringement claims for a sweeping win in a decadelong patent war.
- Google, in a three-year, high-stakes trademark battle in the Southern District of New York.
- Rhode, a global beauty brand, by protecting its launch against a fierce trademark challenge.
- Meta, by winning a summary judgment motion on the eve of trial in a patent case.
- Liquidia, a developer of novel respiratory technology, by knocking out a competitor’s patents.
- Meta, in securing a major trial victory in an eight-year trade secrets battle involving cutting-edge virtual reality technology.
Cooley’s inclusion among the finalists builds on the momentum created by the recent expansion of the firm’s IP litigation capabilities with the strategic hires of a trio of experienced life sciences patent litigators from Fish & Richardson and, previously, an accomplished patent litigator from Keker, Van Nest & Peters.
Offering a team of 65+ lawyers with significant experience representing clients in technology and life sciences matters, Cooley’s IP litigation practice is renowned for its ability to win bet-the-company competitor cases in which multibillion-dollar products, technologies and brands are at stake. Cooley boasts one of the most active patent litigation practices in the US, having handled 525+ patent cases and 70+ US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit patent appeals – the vast majority as the appellee – in the past five years.
About Cooley LLP
Clients partner with Cooley on transformative deals, complex IP and regulatory matters, and high-stakes litigation, where innovation meets the law.
Cooley has nearly 1,400 lawyers across 18 offices in the United States, Asia and Europe, and a total workforce of more than 3,000.