Cooley Achieves Mansfield Rule Certification Plus Status in US, UK
Palo Alto – October 20, 2022 – Cooley has achieved Diversity Lab’s Mansfield Rule Certification Plus in the US and UK after completing the rigorous Mansfield Rule 5.0 US and inaugural Mansfield Rule 1.0 UK 12-month certification programs. The Mansfield Rule Certification Plus status distinguishes the firm and its continued commitment to achieving and exceeding the high standards Diversity Lab sets for certification.
The Mansfield Rule Certification measures whether law firms have affirmatively considered women, underrepresented racial and ethnic groups, LGBTQ+ lawyers, and lawyers with disabilities for leadership and governance roles, equity partner promotions, formal client pitch opportunities, and senior lateral positions. Firms participating in the program have demonstrated an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and they are making meaningful progress on diversifying law firm leadership.
Cooley’s accomplishments that supported attaining this certification include:
- Exceeding more than 30% representation of lawyers from historically underrepresented backgrounds in firm leadership roles.
- Publishing partner compensation criteria and processes to all lawyers in the firm.
- Tracking candidate pools to measure the impact of the Mansfield Rule across underrepresented groups.
- Considering more than 30% of underrepresented lawyers for nominations to Chambers USA to increase their external visibility.
- Considering more than 30% of underrepresented individuals when hiring and promoting C-level or other senior-level business professionals.
Cooley will continue to participate in the Mansfield Rule program with the launch of Mansfield Rule 6.0 in the US and Mansfield Rule 2.0 in the UK, which will expand the certification in scope and transparency.
Cooley is dedicated to maintaining a workplace that values and celebrates differences. The firm is widely recognized for its diversity, equity and inclusion efforts by leading industry organizations and publications, including earning a six-time perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index, being named to Seramount’s (formerly Working Mother Magazine) Best Law Firms for Women list 10 years in a row, and achieving US Gold Standard law firm certification for the 11th consecutive year from the Women in Law Empowerment Forum.
To learn more about Cooley’s diversity, equity and inclusion efforts, please visit the firm’s DEI webpage.
About Cooley LLP
Clients partner with Cooley on transformative deals, complex IP and regulatory matters, and high-stakes litigation, where innovation meets the law.
Cooley has 1,500 lawyers across 18 offices in the United States, Asia and Europe, and a total workforce of 3,300.