INTA Annual Meeting
The International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual Meeting is the largest and most influential gathering of brand owners and intellectual property professionals, with 10,000+ attendees from around the world and from across industries. INTA is a worldwide advocacy association of trademark owners and professionals dedicated to supporting trademarks and IP in order to protect consumers and to promote fair and effective global commerce.
Boston Convention & Exhibition Center – 415 Summer St
Featured agenda items
May 19, 1:00 pm: CSU52 Global Data Protection – Beyond GDPR: Developments and Best Practices for Trademark Practitioners Dealing with Non-European Privacy Laws
In a panel complementing CT21 on GDPR and domain names, the panel will provide global updates and impacts including:
- Primer on privacy law regimes in Canada and the US (Federal and State, including the New York Cyber Security Regulations and California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018)
- New and developing law in Brazil, India and Japan
- Global privacy law impacts on trademark rights enforcement, including online marketplaces, social media platforms and ccTLD domain name registries (neither governed by ICANN nor its EPDP)
Cooley associate Smita Rajmohan is a featured panelist.
May 19, 2:30 pm: CSU56 Shades of Gray: Current Issues in Parallel Importation Law – A Global Perspective
In this session, panelists will explain national, international or regional exhaustion of trademark rights and why brand owners should care. Speakers will equip brand owners with the latest jurisdictional trends on parallel imports, and will explore such questions as:
Cooley partner JP Oleksiuk is a featured panelist. JP currently serves as the chair of INTA’s Parallel Imports Committee, North America Subcommittee, for the 2018 – 2019 term.
- Where might you be able to prevent imports on grounds of material differences?
- How should brand owners deal with package tampering?
- How is online commerce impacting the discussion on parallel imports?