I help clients successfully navigate the intersection between technology and regulation.
J.G. Harrington represents telephone, mobile communications, new technologies and cable television clients on federal and state regulatory issues and works with other clients to address issues that arise in their interactions with service providers and regulators.
J.G. is a special counsel in the regulatory communications practice. He has particular experience in matters relating to regulatory issues affecting new technologies, broadband services, privacy, intercarrier compensation, universal service and telecommunications competition.
Much of J.G.'s work is built on developing a deep understanding of the client's needs in the context of regulatory and business challenges, whether the issue is offering a new product or service, compliance with a new regulation, entry into a new market or responding to competition. His practice, as a result, includes helping clients ensure they are in compliance with regulatory requirements; advocacy in rulemaking and other policy proceedings; dispute resolution at both the state and federal level; negotiating agreements and obtaining regulatory approval for transactions; arbitration and implementation of interconnection agreements; and resolution of intercarrier disputes. His work also has included counseling lenders and investors on legal and regulatory issues in transactions and bankruptcies, ensuring compliance with telecommunications privacy laws and other requirements that apply to noncarriers using telecommunications services, and negotiations with carriers and vendors for telecommunications service agreements, both for the client's own use and for resale to other customers.
- Representation of Apollo Global Management and SoftBank before the Federal Communications Commission and Team Telecom to obtain approval of foreign ownership of FCC-regulated businesses.
- Representation of Clearlake in connection with regulatory aspects of the sale of ConvergeOne.
- Representation of a national hospitality company in the investigation, remediation, and negotiation of a consent decree with the FCC for violation of the FCC’s transfer of control rules.
- Negotiation of agreements for provision of back-end and connectivity functions for voice and broadband services.
- Advice to cable company in connection with regulatory disclosures and related matters for note offering and bank refinancing.
- Representation of the unsecured creditors committee in connection with communications regulation issues in the bankruptcy of Fusion Connect.
- Negotiation and prosecution of FCC applications for Cox Communications sale of wireless licenses to Verizon Wireless.
- Litigation on behalf of clients in several states to obtain payment of termination charges for Voice over Internet Protocol traffic.
- Negotiation of interconnection agreements with Bell companies and rural telephone companies in North Dakota and South Dakota.
- Negotiation of acquisitions of competitive local telephone companies for private equity firms.
- Successful litigation on behalf of a competitive carrier to lift the rural exemption for telephone companies in North Dakota.
- Successful defense on behalf of Cox Communications of a favorable state regulatory commission decision in an interconnection arbitration on behalf of a competitive carrier in Nebraska.
- First FCC-adjudicated interconnection arbitration under the Telecommunications Act of 1996.
New York University School of Law
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Admissions & credentials
District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
District of Columbia Court of Appeals
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Memberships & affiliations
Federal Communications Bar Association
National Communication Association
WheatonArts, Millville, N.J., Board of Trustees
James Renwick Alliance, Washington, D.C., Board of Directors