Freddy focuses his practice on licensing, collaboration, joint venture and complex intellectual property transactions in the life sciences industry, particularly in cross-border settings. He also has significant experience in representing life sciences companies and research institutes in clinical trial, manufacturing, supply, and services agreements, as well as equity financing transactions.
Freddy earned his PhD in molecular cell biology from the University of New South Wales in Australia. Prior to joining the legal profession, Freddy worked in various research and development positions in the biopharmaceutical industry for several years, including in a multinational pharmaceutical company in Australia and a biotech company in Hong Kong, focusing on CMC and preclinical development of novel protein-based drugs, such as an anti-cancer monoclonal antibody and a hemoglobin-based oxygen carrier.
Freddy's experience includes representation of:
- Jadeite Medicines, a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, in its definitive agreement with Albireo Pharma Inc, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ipsen, for the development and commercialization in Japan of odevixibat, a potent, non-systemic iBAT inhibitor being developed and commercialized by Ipsen in the U.S. and Europe.
- JW Therapeutics, an independent innovative biotechnology company focused on developing, manufacturing and commercializing cell immunotherapy products, in its exclusive collaboration with 2seventy bio, for the co-development and commercialization of a chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cell therapy product for autoimmune diseases (AID program) in Greater China.
- SystImmune, a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, in its exclusive license and collaboration agreement with Bristol Myers Squibb for SystImmune’s BL-B01D1.
- Eccogene, a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to providing innovative therapeutic solutions to address unmet medical needs globally, in its exclusive license agreement with AstraZeneca to develop and commercialize Eccogene’s small molecule GLP-1 receptor agonist (GLP-1RA) ECC5004 for the potential treatment of obesity, type-2 diabetes and other comorbidities.
- Jiangsu Hengrui Pharmaceuticals, a global pharmaceutical company focused on scientific and technological innovation, in its exclusive license agreement with Merck for its next-generation potent and selective PARP1 (poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase 1) inhibitor, HRS-1167, and its Claudin 18.2 ADC, SHR-A1904.
- Jiangsu Hengrui Pharmaceuticals in its global licensing agreement with Elevar Therapeutics to commercialize and develop anti-PD-1 antibody camrelizumab in combination with rivoceranib worldwide, excluding Greater China and Korea.
- Senti Biosciences, a biotechnology company, in its sale of certain assets – including its manufacturing facility and chemistry, manufacturing, and controls capabilities – to Celadon Partners to establish GeneFab.
- Cholesgen, a biopharmaceutical company focusing on metabolic diseases, in its three-year research collaboration and licensing agreement with AstraZeneca.
- Zai Lab, a research-based commercial-stage biopharmaceutical company, in its strategic partnership and exclusive worldwide license agreement with MediLink Therapeutics, as part of Zai Lab’s efforts to build its portfolio of potential first- and/or best-in-class antibody-drug conjugate (ADC) products.
- Apollo Endosurgery, a medical device company, in its agreement to be acquired by Boston Scientific in an all-cash transaction with an enterprise value of approximately $615 million.
- Tmunity, a clinical-stage biotechnology company, in its agreement to sell to Kite, a global biopharmaceutical company.
- Global investment firm Sixth Street in its strategic investment in Blueprint Medicines, a global precision therapy company that invents life-changing therapies for people with cancer and blood disorders.
TransThera Biosciences in its licensing transaction with LG Chem Life Sciences to grant exclusive license related to TT-01025, an SSAO/VAP-1 inhibitor, for development and commercialization in all territories, excluding China*
- Sichuan Kelun-Biotech Biopharmaceutical Co. in its exclusive license and collaboration agreement with Merck for development rights (excluding China) of an oncology drug candidate*
- Cugene in its exclusive worldwide license option agreement with AbbVie for the development and commercialization of its novel IL-2 mutein drug candidates*
- Shenzhen Xbiome Biotech Co. in its licensing transaction with Aurealis Therapeutics AG to obtain an exclusive license for the development and commercialization of AUP-16, a four-in-one cell and gene therapy drug for chronic wounds and other inflammatory degenerative diseases, in Greater China*
- Huadong Medicine Co. in its licensing transaction with AKSO Biopharmaceutical to obtain an exclusive license for the development and commercialization of AB002, a dual-target biospecific fusion protein inhibiting immune checkpoint and activating NK cells for the treatment of solid tumors, in the Asia-Pacific region (excluding Japan)*
- SciNeuro Pharmaceuticals in its collaboration and license agreement with Mabylon AG for the discovery, development and commercialization of human antibodies for treatment of neurological diseases*
- Arrivent Biopharma in its collaboration and license agreement with Aarvik Therapeutics for the discovery, development and commercialization of an oncology-focused drug candidate*
- Beijing Tide Pharmaceutical Co. in its licensing transaction with Graviton Bioscience Corp. to grant exclusive license related to TDI91, a ROCK2 inhibitor, for development and commercialization in all territories, excluding China*
- Hinova Pharmaceuticals in its licensing transaction with amcure to obtain an exclusive license for the development and commercialization of AMC303 in oncology in Greater China*
- Zai Lab in its broad strategic collaboration and license agreement with MacroGenics to develop and commercialize preclinical bispecific antibodies in oncology, involving up to four immuno-oncology molecules*
- MyoKardia in its strategic collaboration with LianBio to develop and commercialize mavacamten in China and other Asian territories*
- Regenacy Pharmaceuticals in its formation of Beijing 3E-Regenacy Pharmaceuticals Co., a joint venture with 3E Bioventures Capital, for the development of Regenacy's lead compound ricolinostat, a HDAC6 inhibitor, in mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau*
- I-Mab in its strategic partnership with Kalbe Genexine Biologics, a joint venture of Kalbe Farma Tbk and Genexine, relating to commercialization rights of TJD5 (an anti-CD73 antibody)*
- EpicentRx in its licensing transaction with SciClone to grant an exclusive license related to RRx-001, a small molecule immunotherapy targeting CD47-SIRPα, a treatment of small-cell lung cancer in Greater China*
- Alphamab in its strategic partnership with Sanofi relating to clinical development of an anti-HER2 bispecific antibody*
- Laekna Therapeutics in obtaining from Novartis an exclusive global license on FAZ053 (an anti-PD-L1 antibody)*
- Shenzhen Salubris in its licensing and collaboration transaction with Japan Tobacco to obtain an exclusive license related to a hypoxia inducible factor inhibitor in Greater China*
* Transaction handled prior to joining Cooley
The University of Hong Kong
2017, Postgraduate Certificate in Laws
Metropolitan Manchester University
LLB, 2015, honors
The University of New South Wales
PhD, 2009, Molecular Cell Biology
The University of New South Wales
BSc, 2006, Molecular Biology and Chemistry, honors
Admissions & credentials