Chris has extensive experience advising clients across a wide range of industries in all aspects of employment law in the UK, including transactional support in respect of employment and HR matters, day-to-day counselling and advice to businesses on employee-related issues, and employment litigation in tribunal and court. He also works on cross-border matters, such as international projects and cross-border employee transfers, coordinating and consolidating multi-jurisdictional advice. He focuses on providing clear, practical advice and pragmatic solutions to achieve the best outcome for clients’ legal and commercial needs.
Key areas of experience include:
- Advising on and representing clients in employment disputes such as discrimination, whistleblowing and unfair dismissal
- Advising and supporting clients in settlement negotiations related to employment disputes
- Advising clients on various HR-related projects such as redundancies, collective consultations, contract and policy reviews, and more ad hoc matters relating to investigations, disciplinaries and grievances
- Carrying out due diligence and providing other employment-related support for mergers and acquisitions
- Advising clients on TUPE transfers arising from restructures, acquisitions and outsourcings
- Drafting employment contracts, consultancy agreements, settlement agreements and policies
Chris has particular experience advising and supporting start-ups and emerging companies on their first steps into engaging a workforce, ensuring the most commercial approach in the particular circumstances of each business.
Prior to joining Cooley, Chris spent time on secondment with businesses in a range of industries, including a large global retailer, a Japanese bank and a Formula One racing team, providing him with an in-depth practical knowledge of clients’ commercial needs and pressures.
Chris is also active in pro bono matters, both employment-related and not. He has experience in advising charities and other not-for-profit entities, including a globally renowned orchestra. He has regularly provided advice and support through local legal advice centres and is involved in initiatives to assist children to obtain British citizenship and support refugees.
BPP University Law School
University of Cambridge (Girton College)
BA, 2011, Law
Admissions & credentials
England & Wales
Memberships & affiliations
Employment Lawyers Association