Andrew leads Cooley’s trademark, copyright & advertising team in the UK. With more than a decade of experience advising on intellectual property rights, clients seek his assistance with their most complex trademark and copyright disputes, which often involve protecting a client’s trade name or trademark from misuse online.
Trusted by many of the world’s top brands, Andrew counsels clients from a range of industry sectors, including life sciences, technology, consumer, food and beverage, and automotive. In addition to advising multinational companies on complex enforcement issues, Andrew is passionate about helping emerging and high-growth companies that are just starting to think about IP.
Andrew has experience handling proceedings before the UK Intellectual Property Office, the High Court and the Court of Appeal. Andrew also advises on IP licensing agreements and IP aspects of corporate transactions, and he helps clients on the strategic protection of their IP rights, including orchestrating global trademark filing programmes.
- Acting for a well-known pharmaceutical company in relation to a cross-border online trademark infringement dispute
- Advising a top technology company in respect of a trademark infringement action that threatened the name of its social media platform
- Successfully enforcing trademark rights for one of the world’s largest confectionery companies in the High Court
- Settling a multiparty trademark infringement dispute for a top consumer goods website
- Acting for a technology company – and obtaining a search order – in litigation concerning the misuse of copyright in software
- Coordinating a global trademark filing programme for a high-growth cosmetics brand to create a portfolio covering more than 25 territories
Diploma in Intellectual Property Law, 2013
BPP University Law School
Graduate Diploma in Law & Legal Practice Course, 2009
University of Leeds
BA (Hons), English, 2007
Admissions & credentials
England & Wales
Memberships & affiliations
International Trademark Association