2023 BIO International Convention
Boston, MA 02210
Attendees connected with Cooley and life sciences business leaders at the 2023 BIO International Convention. Cooley is proud to chair the digital health track once again at the annual event.
Featured Cooley sessions
Friday, June 2, 2023 – Sunday, June 4, 2023 | 8:30 am – 5:00 pm EDT
Advanced Business Development
Advanced Business Development (ABD) is a long-running course focusing on key aspects of transactions in the biopharma industry. The course is ideal for a range of professionals – from those with limited experience (two to three years) seeking to advance their skills to highly experienced deal-makers and executives looking to hone their skills and network with other deal-makers.
ABD incorporated lectures from experienced deal-makers, a review of example models, dissection of actual deals, interaction with other participants and a live Q&A. The course also included a mock negotiation scenario, where each participant is a member of a deal team assigned to negotiate a transaction involving a drug in development with another team using an actual valuation and deal-structuring model.
- Joseph S. Dillon, PhD, MBA – President and CEO at SynerPhysics and president at Dillon Capital Strategies
- Kenneth Krisko – Partner at Cooley
- Lesley Stolz, PhD, BSc – Regional vice president of early innovation partnering at Johnson & Johnson Innovation
Monday, June 5, 2023 | 3:30 – 4:30 pm EDT – Digital Health
Session Room 254B
Deal-Making With AI and Big Data – New Frontiers in Drug Discovery and Development
Life sciences and healthcare companies are increasingly leveraging artificial intelligence, machine learning and data assets in complex partnering deals that are redefining the way we think about discovery and development of therapeutics and clinical decision-making. Attendees joined senior executives from Tempus Labs and top biotechnology and biopharma companies to learn how they use AI platforms and valuable data assets to forge partnerships with big pharma and leading healthcare providers. Discussion topics included deal-making considerations, as well as licensing, data and regulatory issues associated with the technology.
- Hassan Naqvi – Lead of global digital health commercialization at AstraZeneca
- Nawal Roy – Founder and CEO at Holmusk
- Jakob Uszkoreit – CEO at Inceptive Nucleics
- Charity Williams (moderator) – Partner at Cooley
Tuesday, June 6, 2023 | 11:00 am – 12:00 pm EDT – Digital Health
Session Room 256
Investors’ Perspectives – Digital Health Trends and Investment Thesis in 2023 and Beyond
Capital is a critical component for success. Although digital health funding dipped from its peak in 2021, funds have capital to invest, and in 2022, more than 60% of funding went to earlier-stage deals. Attendees joined this panel of top digital health investors to learn more about the 2023 investment landscape. Participants learned what drives early- and late-stage investment decisions and how best to position companies for success as they scale given the current market dynamics.
- Liam Donohue – Co-founder and managing partner at 406 Ventures
- Dan Gebremedhin, MD – Partner at Flare Capital
- Laura Veroneau – Managing director at Optum Ventures
- Michael Rohr (moderator) – Partner at Cooley
Tuesday, June 6, 2023 | 1:45 – 2:45 pm EDT – Business Development and Finance
Session Room 206AB
Navigating Partnering in a Down Market – Finding Post-Pandemic Opportunity
An aggressive drop in the market and the aftermath of two years of deals via Zoom have created a unique set of opportunities and obstacles for partnering in life sciences. Attendees joined market-leading senior executives and investors who have ridden the waves of deal- making in up and down markets, as they were taken through the obstacles and opportunities in a post-pandemic bear market. Discussion topics included considerations of market forces and their impact on partnering deals, along with strategic approaches to complex partnering.
- Ken Drazan – Founder and CEO at Arsenal Biosciences
- Barbara Kosacz – Chief operating officer and general counsel at Kronos Bio
- Jay Parrish – Venture partner at ARCH Venture Partners
- Kate Hillier (moderator) – Partner at Cooley
For more information, please email Kelsey O’Connell.