Cooley Clients Tackle COVID-19 With Innovation
New York – May 12, 2020 – Cooley lawyers working in the technology and life sciences industries have been advising some of the world’s most innovative companies as they seek to deliver products and services to battle myriad aspects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Cooley teams are working with more than 115 companies across the US, Europe and Asia on a host of COVID-19 related matters, including the development of vaccines, therapeutics, diagnostics, ventilators and tech solutions.
“Our incredible clients inspire us all, especially in times like these,” said Joe Conroy, chairman and CEO of Cooley. “Teaming up our corporate, IP, litigation and regulatory lawyers around the world in the interest of facilitating and expediting progress for our clients in this battle speaks to what this law firm is all about. We will get through this pandemic together and continue on our journey to be the elite and distinctive firm of the next generation.”
Some examples of the groundbreaking work Cooley clients are doing and the ways in which the firm is helping include:
- After a controlled laboratory test, Cooley client Eagle Pharmaceuticals discovered its drug Ryanodex inhibited the growth of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Cooley and Eagle submitted the company’s Investigational New Drug Application to the US Food and Drug Administration to launch an immediate phase two trial in partnership with Hackensack University Medical Center, in which 60 adults with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection will participate
- Cooley advised Vir Biotechnology on its partnership with GlaxoSmithKline, designed to target a range of coronaviruses and develop treatments for COVID-19 and future outbreaks
- In London, Cooley lawyers are advising CEPI (the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations) on matters relating to COVID-19, including counseling on issues related to the manufacture of vaccines
- The firm helped New York-based Spiro Devices – formed by Cooley client Newlab and its partners 10XBeta and Boyce Technologies – launch the Spiro Wave, a low-cost ventilator, in just one month. Cooley’s startup lawyers collaborated seamlessly with technology transactions and regulatory colleagues, among others. Efforts are now underway to help bring the Spiro Wave to other cities, states and countries
- Cooley’s cyber/data/privacy lawyers are working with companies leveraging their technologies to build contact tracing applications, a critical tool in understanding and containing the spread of the virus
- Cooley client Senseware recently teamed up with other innovative companies to deliver the technology and systems necessary to ensure the safety of business environments, including Senseware’s continuous air quality monitoring, which proactively detects the conditions in which the virus thrives and provides on-demand detection
In response to COVID-19, Cooley has assembled and deployed a multidisciplinary team of more than 75 lawyers worldwide to provide clients with real-time assessment and assistance, while continuing to support their vital work. The team operates the firm’s coronavirus resource hub, which has had more than 350,000 unique views and is regularly updated with new insight to help businesses navigate unprecedented issues, touching on topics including contracts, commercial litigation, cyber/data/privacy, venture capital, public companies, employment, insurance, education and more. BTI Consulting recently named Cooley one of the law firms “clients say are winning in the COVID-19 world.” It added: “Top legal decision makers tell us how a few law firms have really stepped it up, jumped in and are truly committed.”
About Cooley LLP
Clients partner with Cooley on transformative deals, complex IP and regulatory matters, and high-stakes litigation, where innovation meets the law.
Cooley has 1,100+ lawyers across 16 offices in the United States, Asia and Europe.