Washington, DC – August 19, 2015 – Cooley moved up 29 spots to number 36 in The Legal Times 150, the National Law Journal's annual ranking of the largest DC-metro area law firms by headcount, and made the "DC 25," a revenue ranking of the capital's biggest law firms.
Cooley's growth in DC can be partly attributed to its January 2014 merger with Dow Lohnes, in which the firm added more than 50 lawyers with leadership across regulatory work in communications, education and media. As a result, the firm secured a 64 percent gain in headcount in the DC office in 2014, with the number of lawyers jumping from 72 to 118.
As a newcomer to the NLJ's "DC 25," which tracks law firms' DC-metro area market share by revenue, Cooley ranked 18 for gross revenue and number seven for revenue per lawyer.
"In 2013, the firm moved into the Warner building to accommodate ongoing major expansion in talent across our core practices," said Mike Tuscan, partner in charge of Cooley's DC office. "A year later, we underwent a merger that propelled us to become one of the largest and most successful firms in the Mid-Atlantic. Cooley stands out in DC by operating with a Silicon Valley culture: excelling in tech and life sciences, offering wide-ranging regulatory capabilities across rapidly-evolving industry sectors, and providing deep knowledge of the workings of the federal government and how businesses can navigate all of this."
Cooley DC-Metro Highlights
- Antitrust – numerous multibillion dollar merger clearance work, including advising Hyperion, NetScout, Datalogix, Auspex and Horizon
- Drones – top US practice: handled the first eight of 12 FAA drone exemptions
- Communications – cutting edge counseling on net neutrality issues
- IP – paving the way for innovation, including in biotech and agricultural science industries
- Litigation – leading ITC and PTAB practices combined with traditional heavyweight trial bench
- M&A – handled the top-five Mid-Atlantic M&A deals by value since 2013
- Emerging companies – ranked #1 firm for number of Mid-Atlantic financings since launch
- Cybersecurity – practice co-led by DC-based former Commissioner for the Commission on Cyber Security for the 44th Presidency
- Higher education – DC-based group is largest education regulatory practice in the US
- Diversity and inclusiveness – championing women, LGBT and minorities in the workplace; Cooley's diversity committee chair based in DC
- Culture – a four-time Washington Business Journal "Best Place to Work"
About Cooley LLP
Clients partner with Cooley on transformative deals, complex IP and regulatory matters, and high-stakes litigation, where innovation meets the law.
Cooley has 850 lawyers across 12 offices in the United States, China and Europe.