Applications for the 2020 Diversity Fellowship are now closed.
As part of Cooley's ongoing commitment to diversity, we are proud to offer Diversity Fellowships to outstanding first year law school students. Award recipients will receive a paid 1L Summer Associate position and an award of up to $30,000 to assist with law school tuition. The award will be paid in three installments: $10,000 upon completion of the 1L summer with the firm; $10,000 upon completion of the 2L summer with the firm; and the remaining $10,000 upon joining the firm as a full-time associate.* Students who demonstrate a commitment to promoting diversity are encouraged to apply.
*In order to receive the second payment of the fellowship award, a Cooley Diversity Fellow must receive and accept an offer to return to the firm following the Fellow's 2L year and must not be the recipient of a diversity award from another law firm paid between September 1, 2020 and August 31, 2021. To receive the final payment of the fellowship award, a Cooley Diversity Fellow must receive and accept an offer of full-time employment and join the firm as a full-time first year associate or as a full-time associate post-judicial clerkship.
The eligibility, selection criteria and application process for the program are as follows:
We welcome applications from all law students who:
- Are enrolled full-time in an ABA-accredited law school with an anticipated graduation date of 2022 at the time of application
- Demonstrate a commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion within their local communities and/or more broadly
- Can participate in and complete Cooley's 2020 Summer Associate Program
- Will not be the recipient of a diversity award from another law firm paid between January 1, 2020 and August 31, 2020
Fellows will be selected based on consideration of the following factors:
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion
- Undergraduate and law school academic achievement
- Personal achievement
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Community service
Applications must include:
- Submission of a complete and accurate online application (only one application will be considered)
- A personal statement—no more than one single-spaced page in length, demonstrating achievement of the selection criteria for the diversity fellowship
- Current resume
- Undergraduate transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
- Graduate program transcript(s), if applicable
- Law school transcript following the receipt of first term grades. Due to the nature of a rolling application review process, decisions may be rendered prior to receipt of first-term law school grades.
Please note that with the exception of the law school transcript, all of the required information must be complete and attached before the application can be submitted. Upon receipt of first term law school grades, please send a copy of your law school transcript to email@example.com.
For 1L students in the 2019-2020 academic year, applications must be received by January 10, 2020. Selected applicants will be contacted on a rolling basis to arrange for personal interviews.
Please direct questions regarding our fellowship to Amie Santos, Cooley's director of diversity and inclusion, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about diversity and inclusion at Cooley