The application for our 2024 US 1L Diversity Fellowship is now closed.
We encourage you to apply in November for next year’s fellowship.
As part of Cooley’s ongoing commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, we are proud to offer diversity fellowships to outstanding first-year law school students. Award recipients will receive a paid 1L summer associate position and an award of up to $50,000 to assist with law school tuition.
The award will be paid in three installments:
- A $10,000 payment upon the successful completion of Cooley’s 2024 summer program.
- A $20,000 payment if you spend at least eight weeks with the firm during the 2025 summer program, do not spend time at another law firm during the summer, and receive and accept an offer of full-time employment with Cooley.
If you spend less than eight weeks with the firm during your 2L summer, you are still eligible for a second reward payment of $10,000 as long as you spend at least four weeks with Cooley and you receive and accept an offer of full-time employment.
- A $20,000 final payment upon joining the firm as a full-time associate, to be included in your first paycheck.
We welcome applications from all law students who:
- Are enrolled full-time in an American Bar Association-accredited law school with an anticipated graduation date of 2026 at the time of application.
- Demonstrate a commitment to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion within their local communities and/or more broadly.
- Can participate in and complete Cooley’s 2024 summer program.
- Are not an immediate family member of any partner or employee of Cooley LLP.
We will select fellows based on consideration of:
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting DEI.
- Undergraduate and law school academic performance.
- Personal achievement.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Community service.
Applicants should submit one complete and accurate online application that includes:
- A personal statement that is no more than one single-spaced page in length and demonstrates achievement of the above selection criteria.
- A current résumé.
- An undergraduate transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable).
- Graduate program transcripts (if applicable).
- A law school transcript (after the receipt of first-term grades).
- Completion of the Thine assessment.
- Due to the nature of a rolling application review process, offer decisions may be rendered prior to receipt of first-term law school grades.
- Only one application may be submitted.
- If you are interested in more than one office location, apply to your top choice and indicate your other interests in the open text box on the application.
For 1L students in the 2023 – 2024 academic year, applications must be received by January 8, 2024. Upon receipt of first-term law school grades, please send a copy of your law school transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org. Selected applicants will be contacted on a rolling basis to arrange for interviews.
If you have any questions, please reach out to email@example.com.