Diversity at Cooley
Diversity — in terms of race and ethnicity, gender, LGBT orientation and physical disability — is a core value and priority at Cooley. We are dedicated to maintaining a truly diverse workplace that values and celebrates differences – from the way we relate to and support each other, to the way we work together as one Firm to meet the needs of our clients. It is the unique abilities and perspectives of every individual at Cooley that creates a rewarding workplace.
For Cooley, true workplace diversity goes beyond hiring people of different backgrounds. It offers all employees the tools, training and mentoring they need to succeed. It embraces the importance of diversity on our client teams. It enables every individual to balance work and family obligations. It looks beyond the Firm's four walls, fostering community involvement and participation in local and national diversity initiatives. It includes becoming leaders and contributors in our communities.
Accomplishments & Accolades
Cooley is proud of the positive environment we offer our attorneys and staff and the impact that we have in our communities. Among our highlights:
- Cooley received an honorable mention from The Project for Attorney Retention in recognition of 43% of its 2009 partner class being female. The organization surveyed 100 firms and only 23 had a promotion percentage of 40 or higher. The nonprofit organization studies the advancement of women lawyers and work/life issues for all lawyers. (2009)
- MultiCultural Law Magazine ranked Cooley #44 in its 2009 "Top 100 Law Firms for Diversity" list. Additionally, we were recognized by the publication in its "Top 100 Law Firms for Women" and "Top 25 Law Firms for Asian-Americans" listings. (2009)
- Cooley offers Diversity Fellowships to outstanding first-year law students as part of our ongoing commitment to recruiting, developing and retaining a diverse and talented team at all levels throughout the Firm. The annual fellowship provides a substantial monetary award to assist with law school tuition and a Summer Associate position.
- Our Minority Associates Group is comprised of associates engaged in promoting the interests of minority associates both within Cooley and within the legal profession. The Group works closely with the Diversity Committee in realizing the Firm's diversity goals and commitments.
- Cooley attorneys frequently serve in leadership roles for organizations that focus on the advancement and mentorship of minorities including the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, La Raza Lawyers of California, Kids Included Together, Chinese American IP Law Association, Ms. JD, National Hispanic Bar Association and Point Foundation.