Beatriz Mejia is a partner in the Cooley Litigation department. She joined the Firm in 1997 and is resident in the San Francisco office.
Ms. Mejia's practice focuses on complex business disputes and general business litigation. She has represented companies in antitrust, unfair business practices, trade secret, copyright infringement, and corporate governance cases.
Representative matters include:
- representation of graphics company in connection with DOJ investigation and related litigation arising from price fixing allegations;
- representation of Tyco Healthcare Group in antitrust action challenging contracts with group purchasing organizations;
- representation of large venture capital firm and one of its managing members in defending claims arising from the merger of a company in which the venture capital firm invested;
- representation of Siebel System, Inc. in numerous class actions challenging its merger with Oracle Corporation;
- employment action involving high level executive and the alleged misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition and other related claims;
- representation of executive under criminal investigation by federal prosecutors for violating the Economic Espionage Act; and
- representation of water utility company in suit against real estate developers and public officials for breach of contract, breach of duty and other related torts.
Ms. Mejia also represents companies on a variety of environmental claims, including soil and groundwater contamination issues and Proposition 65 matters. She also counsels companies on environmental risk allocation and management in business transactions and advises them regarding environmental regulatory compliance issues.
Ms. Mejia received her law degree from the University of California Boalt Hall School of Law. At Boalt, she served as Editor-In-Chief of La Raza Law Journal, and was a tutor in Contracts and Civil Procedure. In 1994, Ms. Mejia received her BA in Political Science from UCLA, graduating magna cum laude.
Ms. Mejia is a member of the State Bar of California.
Ms. Mejia is an active member of the Hispanic National Bar Association, the California La Raza Lawyers Association and La Raza Lawyers Association of San Francisco. She is a former President and Executive Board member of the California La Raza Lawyers Association and a former Board of Directors member of La Raza Lawyers Association of San Francisco. She is currently a member of the Executive Committee of the Litigation Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco.
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall)
- University of California, Los Angeles
BA Political Science, 1994, magna cum laude
- All California State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- American Bar Association
- California La Raza Association
- La Raza Lawyers Association of San Francisco