Tax disputes often present unique and challenging legal problems. I work with clients and colleagues to bring to bear our collective experience, knowledge and creativity to solve them.
Clint Massengill has a diverse practice that focuses on federal and state tax controversies. He has extensive experience advising clients at all stages of the IRS administrative process. In addition, he has litigated matters in state and federal courts and advised Fortune 500 clients in a variety of industries, including banking, energy, insurance, manufacturing and technology.
Significant issues on which he had advised clients include:
- Creditability of foreign taxes paid
- Transfer pricing
- Economic substance and other judicial doctrines
- Summons enforcement
- Charitable contribution deductions
- Accounting method changes
- Worthlessness deductions
- Valuation disputes
- Promoter audits
- State and local tax controversies
Clint also advises clients on acquisitions, tax planning, REIT-related matters, bankruptcy-related matters, debt workouts, state tax matters, and obtaining tax-exempt status.
In addition to his work at Cooley, Clint’s experience includes five years as Senior Tax Counsel at a major insurance company and owning a general litigation practice.
- UNC Tax Institute: Ethical Issue in Tax Practice; Chapel Hill, NC, April 2019
- Cooley: The Way Forward After Wayfair – What’s Next for Ecommerce Taxation, Webinar, June 2018
- UNC Tax Institute: The New Partnership Audit Rules – Major Changes and Many Unanswered Questions; Chapel Hill, NC, 2017
New York University
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Admissions & credentials
Memberships & affiliations
American Bar Association - Section of Taxation