Since 2009, Cooley has handled more than 900 mergers and acquisitions (M&A) transactions, with an aggregate value of over $170 billion, making our practice one of the most active in the world.
We represent all categories of participants in transactions, including buyers, sellers, major stockholders, lenders, financial advisors, management, special board committees, venture capitalists, individual investors, private equity funds, hedge funds and others.
In addition to handling acquisitions of venture capital-backed corporations and other closely held entities, we regularly negotiate acquisitions involving large, publicly traded companies.
Our experience and client base of over 145 publicly held companies provides us with a current perspective on market deal points, and a unique position from which we can draw to introduce buyers and sellers.
Cooley has highly skilled transactional lawyers who focus on M&A matters. These lawyers are widely recognized as leaders and experts in their field and are frequently invited to speak on M&A trends and take leadership roles in national professional organizations.
Cooley's M&A lawyers have been honored in numerous publications that list and rank the top lawyers in the United States and the world. Accolades have come from publications such as:
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Chambers Global Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers
- Euromoney's Guide to the World's Leading Mergers and Acquisitions Lawyers
- Legal 500
Recent Deals (includes pending transactions)
View our extended deal list
"According to industry peers, the licensing, tax and inversion, private investment, capital market and M&A work performed by Cooley is top tier."
LMG Life Sciences
- #6 US West by deal count (2015 H1 Mergermarket Global and Region M&A)
- #6 US Deals Announced - Based on Number of Deals (2015 H1 Thomson Reuters Global M&A Legal Advisory Review)
- #19 Worldwide Deals Completed - Based on Number of Deals (2015 H1 Thomson Reuters Global M&A Legal Advisory Review)
- #11 US Announced Deals - Based on Number of Deals (2015 H1 Bloomberg M&A Legal Advisory Rankings)
We have handled cross-border deals across 25 different jurisdictions, including:
- South Africa
- United Kingdom