Karen Won is an associate in the Trademark, Copyright & Advertising practice group and a member of the firm's litigation department. She joined the firm in 2008 and is resident in the New York office.
Ms. Won's practice includes intellectual property counseling, prosecution, litigation and transactions on behalf of clients across the technology sector, with a particular focus on biotech and medtech. Her practice focuses on trademarks but also covers copyright and advertising. Specifically, Ms. Won works with clients on the selection, clearance, adoption, and use of trademarks; domestic and international trademark prosecution and enforcement; trademark portfolio management; development of comprehensive branding strategies; trademark licensing; and due diligence analysis. For biotech and medtech clients, Ms. Won also advises on issues relating to the regulatory overlay of FDA proprietary name approvals.
Ms. Won also represents clients in federal litigation, proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and internet domain disputes before the World Intellectual Property Organization and the National Arbitration Forum. Ms. Won is also actively involved in a range of pro bono matters.
Prior to coming to Cooley, Ms. Won was an associate at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP, where her practice focused on international arbitration.
Ms. Won received her JD from Harvard Law School in 2006, where she was a senior editor for the International Law Journal. She graduated from Stanford University in 2002 with a BA in Political Science.
Ms. Won is a member of the New York State and District of Columbia Bar and is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
- BIO International Convention: Successful Pharmaceutical Branding – Key Insights from the Business, Legal, and Creative Process, San Francisco, CA, June 2016
- The Knowledge Group Webinar: FDA's Proposed Guidance on Nonproprietary Naming of Biological Products, May 2016
- Pharmatek Seminar Series: Commercial Value of Pharmaceutical Branding - Critical Knowledge for an Evolving Marketplace, San Diego, CA, May 2016
- Association of Corporate Counsel: Building the Future Layer by Layer: Overview of 3D Printing and Potential Trademark/Copyright Issues, New York, NY, October 2015
- Going Global: Marketing & Distribution of Pharmaceuticals and Devices in the US and EU, Palo Alto, CA, October 2015
- MedStartUp 2015: The Essentials for Pharma, Biotech, and Medtech Companies on How to Expand into the US Market, New York, NY, October 2015
- New York Health Business Leaders: Pharmaceutical Branding - Navigating Processes and Pitfalls, New York, NY, September 2015
- The Knowledge Group Webinar: Pharmaceutical Brand Protection Program: Latest Trends and Legal Considerations Demystified!, July 2015
- Association of Corporate Counsel: Building a Strong Foundation for Growing Your Brand, New York, NY, October 2014
- Entrepreneur's Initiative Forum: Trademark Basics for Building a Powerful Brand: What Every Entrepreneur Should Know, New York, NY May 2014
- Association of Corporate Counsel: Essentials of Copyright, Trademark, Image and Publicity Clearances for Consumer Promotion and Advertising Campaigns, New York, NY, October 2013
- Harvard Law School
- Stanford University
BA Political Science, 2002
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York