Cooley is recognized for its innovative, forward-thinking legal advice and cutting-edge strategies for both business and litigation matters for our clients. We apply the same dedication, expertise, and breadth of experience that made us a leader in the U.S. to helping our clients succeed in doing business around the world.
We have assisted clients in a variety of international legal matters, including:
- Mergers and acquisitions involving both US and foreign companies and their business divisions
- Establishing operations overseas and addressing associated corporate, tax, data privacy, employment and compensation issues
- Strategic tax planning for US and overseas operations
- Determining the appropriate legal presence in each overseas location
- A full range of employment-related needs
- Partnering with, or licensing technology to, partners and customers overseas
- Prosecution and defense of intellectual property
- Advising clients on the U.S. legal consequences of doing business internationally, such as:
- U.S. tax issues
- Trade and export control
- Regulatory compliance in the U.S.
- The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the anti-boycott regime
- Antitrust and competition issues
- Defense against criminal and civil violations of export control statutes and regulations
Our global assignments range from the worldwide brand protection of Bluetooth® to significant acquisitions for eBay to the largest case in the history of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), among others.
On ground, our footing is equally as broad. In 2011, the Firm expanded its presence overseas opening an office in Shanghai, China, a market that is one of the fastest-growing in the world and where Cooley has been working with clients since 1989.
Across our offices, our international teams are staffed with lawyers fluent in more than 20 languages and many are licensed and experienced practitioners from key foreign jurisdictions.
We have an extensive network of Cooley-caliber law firms with whom we partner in key jurisdictions around the world, stretching from Europe, including the UK and other EU member states, across Central and Eastern Europe to Israel, the Middle East and Africa, to Latin America and all the major Asian economies, from India, Japan and the emerging economies of South-East Asia. Our Canadian practice advises on transactions North of the border and partners with top tier firms in Canada. We have vetted our international counsel and worked closely with them to ensure they are delivering the same quality of work on which Cooley prides itself.
Whether our clients need assistance with cross-border mergers and acquisitions, establishing worldwide sales and distribution networks and complying with international trade regulations, intellectual property counseling and prosecution, antitrust, global employment or international tax planning, they receive the strategic and informed advice they need to compete in the complex and nonstop global marketplace.