Comp Talks is a monthly program designed to address hot topics in compensation for public companies. The goal of the Comp Talks series is to provide practical information to help you:
- make compensation decisions that motivate your employees, consultants and directors to achieve your business goals,
- confidently explain those decisions to employees, directors, stockholders and proxy advisory firms, and
- administer your programs effectively.
Our programs, conducted by Cooley practitioners and industry experts, are designed to give you the information and tools you need to keep up with current compensation trends so you can balance the legal, tax and disclosure requirements and "best practices" with your practical business needs.
Our July 19 webcast will explore what companies need to be thinking about now as we head into the first season of pay ratio disclosures. When adopting the final rule to implement the Dodd-Frank pay ratio provision, the SEC sought to address cost and complexity concerns by offering a relatively flexible approach that allows alternative methodologies based on a company’s size, structure and compensation practices. We’ll discuss strategies for navigating through those decision points and provide practical advice on managing the process.
Specific Topics Include
- Status of the pay ratio rule – is 2018 disclosure inevitable?
- Refresher on the basics of the rule
- Assembling the team – internal stakeholders and external advisors
- Choosing a methodology and determining whether to present alternative ratios
- Special considerations – international employees, part timers and seasonal workers
- Communication strategies – in the proxy and to employees
- The future of the pay ratio rule
Mark Borges – Principal, Compensia
Barbara Mirza – Partner, Cooley
Nathan O'Connor – Managing Director, Equity Methods
Amy Wood – Partner, Cooley (moderator)
Register to access recorded webcast
Upcoming Comp Talks Programs
August 16, 2017 – 2017 proxy season recap
September 20, 2017 – Section 162(m) tips and traps
October 24, 2017 – Risk mitigation devices – stock ownership guidelines, holding periods and clawback policies
November 15, 2017 – ESPP design, administration, tips and traps