Laura Berezin focuses on corporate securities, M&A and complex corporate finance transactions, with a particular emphasis on representing clients in the life sciences industry. She represents public and private corporations, investment banks, venture capital funds, and financial institutions both in the United States and Europe in a variety of capital market transactions, including public offerings, private placements, PIPES and 144A transactions. Laura has extensive experience in representing life science companies in spin-outs and other domestic and cross-border M&A. Her general corporate practice includes formation and financing activities, securities compliance, public company disclosure and corporate governance matters. She also has extensive experience in counseling publicly-traded life sciences companies and their boards of directors.
Laura is listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the categories of Biotechnology Law, Securities and Capital Markets Law and Securities Regulation and has been named Lawyer of the Year in Biotechnology Law for 2012 and 2013. She is recognized in PLC – Which Lawyer? in the Equity Capital Markets and Corporate Life Sciences practice areas and in the Legal 500 US, Industry Focus: Life Sciences, Capital Markets and M&A: Venture Capital and Emerging Companies. The Daily Journal also recognized Laura as one of the Top 25 Biotech Lawyers in California for 2011.
Since 2006, Laura has been selected annually by Law and Politics Magazine as one of Northern California's Super Lawyers, a designation which ranks her in the top 5% of attorneys in Northern California.
In more than 20 years of practicing law, Laura has represented issuers and investment banks in approximately 100 public offerings of equity or debt, including:
- Hyperion Therapeutics in its initial and follow-on public offerings
- Vivus in a $202.5 million follow-on public offering of equity and $220 million of senior convertible notes
- Five Prime Therapeutics in its initial and follow-on public offerings
- Immune Design Corporation in its initial and follow-on public offerings
- Onyx Pharmaceuticals in multiple equity offerings and a joint equity/registered debt offering
- Adynxx in an exclusive option to be acquired by Cubist
- A venture fund in connection with the sale of a private oncology company for up to $525 million
- A venture fund in connection with the sale of a private molecular imaging company for up to $800 million
- Multiple venture capital funds and other investment vehicles in private preferred stock and PIPE financings
- Multiple issuers in various preferred stock and convertible note financings
- Multiple corporate entities such as Sky plc (formerly British Sky Broadcasting) in various preferred stock investments
- University of Pennsylvania Law School
- University of California-Berkeley
BA International Political Economy, 1988, Phi Beta Kappa, with high honors