Cooley's Patent Counseling & Prosecution practice provides sophisticated patent services to technology clients in a wide range of industries. Our team assists companies in many different technology fields to strategically acquire and protect patent rights in the United States and in foreign countries. For details about the specific technologies with which we have experience, please explore our strength in any of the following technology fields:
Cooley LLP has 'a good bench of litigation talent that is skilled in defending hi-tech clients.'
The Legal 500 (2013)
Fully integrated patent prosecution, counseling, licensing and litigation practice creating cost efficiencies and unified patent strategies
One of the top three largest life sciences patent practice groups in the country
Nearly 90% of our 50-person life sciences patent team holds PhDs
Since 2008, the firm's patent practitioners have prepared and filed 8,500+ U.S. patent applications, managed 17,000+ U.S. filings and prosecutions, and managed 21,000+ foreign filings
In 2013, our patent attorneys provided patent due diligence support on more than 50 business transactions, including venture financings, mergers and acquisitions and licensing transactions
Handling more than 100 active inter partes/ex parte reviews/reexaminations firmwide
Extensive international patent filing network
Full sequence management capacity, including database access, sequence management and sequence listing generation
Close relationship with U.S. Patent Office personnel, including the Patent Trial and Appeal Board
- Over 80 patent professionals in Washington DC, Reston, Boston, San Francisco, Palo Alto, New York, Seattle, San Diego and Broomfield, CO
- Full patent support unit headquartered in DC, including docketing, file support and international filing staff (35+ staff members)
- Electronic filing staff, including 35+ trained patent secretaries on both coasts
- Extensive international patent filing network
- Full paralegal support facilities (20+ paralegals with IP experience)
- Prior art and patent diligence search services (20+ registered patent agents)
- 80+ USPTO registered practitioners
We help clients formulate and implement effective intellectual property (IP) development and protection strategies. The group's services include conducting patentability analyses, developing plans for building economically efficient patent portfolios, preparing patent applications, and corresponding with patent offices of various jurisdictions around the world to ensure global patent rights.
The group also assists companies to avoid infringement of third party patent and intellectual property rights. Such services include performing third party patent searches, analyzing third party patent and intellectual property rights, maintaining periodic patent watches on third party competitors and preparing non-infringement and invalidity opinions.
We also oversee their interests in a variety of business transactions and educating them on the overlapping and complementary relationships between patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets. When necessary, we work closely with attorneys in other groups within the Firm to provide legal advice regarding patents and patent portfolios, including for example:
- the Mergers and Acquisitions group and Venture Capital group to assist in corporate transactions such as mergers, acquisitions, and capital investments in target companies;
- the Technology Transactions group to assist with in-bound and out-bound licenses or sales of patent and intellectual property rights; and
- the Intellectual Property Litigation group to develop and execute patent enforcement strategies for clients seeking to enforce their patent rights or who are accused of violating the patent rights of others.