Cooley has been advising on China-related matters for more than 20 years, dating back to 1989, when the firm advised on the formation of the first institutional venture capital fund investing in China. Since then, Cooley has been an active advisor in cross-border M&A transactions for clients in the United States and globally and represents China-based companies in various securities and corporate matters. In addition, the firm has advised on dozens of litigation matters for Asia-based companies and individuals, spanning commercial contracts disputes, product liability class actions, antitrust matters, internal investigations, trademark and domain name disputes.
Cooley, with its top-ranked life sciences practice, arrives in Shanghai at a time when the life sciences sector is growing rapidly. Cooley consistently ranks #1 in the global BioPharm Insight Licensing League Tables for global biotechnology and pharmaceutical partnering and licensing transactions and ranked # 1 for Asia-Pacific deals in value in 2010. The firm was named "Biotechnology Law Firm of the Year" for biotechnology law in 2011.
Private and public companies in Greater China with some of the most sophisticated intellectual property portfolios in the world also turn to Cooley to protect their significant IP assets. In one of the most prominent cases in recent history, the firm obtained a trial victory for clients Monolithic Power Systems of the United States, ASUSTeK Computer of Taiwan, Compal of Taiwan and Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation of Shanghai in multi-million dollar "bet the company" patent litigation. Cooley's victory brought about the conclusion of a seven-year, worldwide dispute with competitor O2 Micro.
Other key areas in which we have advised clients doing business in Greater China include:
- Implementation of market entry strategies, via collaboration, distribution, licensing and OEM agreements
- Compliance with U.S. export controls and defending clients charged with export control violations
- Mergers and acquisitions throughout Asia
- International tax planning to create optimal group structures to facilitate expansion of U.S. operations into Asia
- Appointment of sales agents and distributors across the Asia-Pacific region
- Management and protection of multinational intellectual property portfolios
- Assistance with regulatory compliance issues in the life science, medical services, internet and gaming sectors