Koji F. Fukumura is a partner in the Cooley Litigation department and is resident in the San Diego office and also part time in the Colorado office. Mr. Fukumura is a Co-Chair of the Firm's Securities Litigation Practice Group.
Mr. Fukumura's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, including the defense of securities class actions, derivative suits, M&A-related class actions and government investigations. He regularly conducts internal investigations for boards as well as their audit and special litigation committees. Mr. Fukumura also counsels public companies, directors, officers, and principal shareholders about a wide range of issues relating to corporate governance, antitrust/unfair competition, FCPA, SEC enforcement, insider trading, disclosure obligations under and compliance with federal and state securities laws. His nationwide practice includes representation of companies such as Qualcomm, Inc., LG Electronics, Inc., Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Websense, Inc., Genoptix, Inc., Brocade, Charlotte-Russe Holdings, The Titan Corporation, Quest Software, Inc., Gemstar TV-Guide and SAIC. He is currently a Co-Chair of the Securities Litigation Committee of the American Bar Association Section of Litigation and was a Co-Chair of that Committee's SEC Enforcement Subcommittee.
Mr. Fukumura was named the 2013 Lawyer of the Year for Securities Litigation (San Diego) and the 2012, 2013 and 2014 Lawyer of the Year for Mergers & Acquisitions Litigation (San Diego) by Best Lawyers in America. He was also named to Best Lawyers in the categories of Commercial Litigation (2009-2015), Securities Law (2009-2015), Litigation - Mergers & Acquisitions (2012-2015) and Litigation - Regulatory Enforcement (2012-2015). He has been recognized in Euromoney's Benchmark Litigation Guide of Leading Firms and Lawyers as one of California's "litigation stars" (2010-2013). He has been repeatedly honored by Southern California Super Lawyers as one of the "Top 50 Lawyers in San Diego" (2009-2013) and has been named in that publication's category of "Securities Litigation" (2007-2012), and holds the highest peer-reviewed rating (AV) by Martindale Hubble.
He has written about and appeared on numerous programs discussing a variety of litigation-related issues including, most recently, the following programs:
- Recent U.S. Securities Law Developments Affecting Chinese Companies (Shanghai; Beijing); May 2013.
- Current D&O Landscape and Say on Pay; Association of Bioscience Financial Officers National Conference (San Diego); April 2013.
- Another Day, Another Forum: Strategies for Litigating Class and Derivative Actions in Multiple State and Federal Courts; ABA Section of Litigation Annual Conference (Chicago); April 2013.
- Notable Securities Law Decisions of 2012; PLI Handling a Securities Case 2013 (New York City); April 2013.
- In the Boardroom: Assessing the Latest Trends in Corporate Governance Litigation and What it Means for Your Client's Senior Management Team; ABA Corporate Council CLE Seminar (Hollywood, FL) February 2013.
- Regulatory and Legal Issues in the Year Ahead: What Directors, Shareowners & Management Should Know; Corporate Directors Forum (San Diego); January 2013.
- Internal and SEC Investigations: 2012 PLUS D&O Hot Topic Seminar (Chicago); May 2012.
- Legal Developments and Litigation Trends in 2011: Beyond the Financial Crisis; 2011 Directors Forum; January 2011 (with Hon. Barbara Lynn and Darren Robbins).
- Corporate Governance 2010: Don't Get Caught in the Past; 2010 ABA Annual Meeting; August 2010 (with Chief Justice Myron T. Steele of the DE Supreme Court).
- Inside the SEC - A Continually Changing Regulatory Landscape; 2010 NIRI Annual Conference; June 2010 (with Rosalind Tyson, Reg. Director, LA Regional Office, SEC).
- Legal Issues in the Year Ahead: What Directors and General Counsel Need to Know; 2010 Directors Forum; January 2010 (with Vice Chancellor Strine and Darren Robbins).
- Mediating Securities Class Actions; 2009 ABA Section of Litigation Insurance Coverage CLE Seminar (Tuscon, AZ) March 2009.
- 2008 PLI Advanced Securities Workshop - Litigation Developments; August 2008.
- The Do's, Don'ts and Ethical Issues of Corporate Investigations; ABA; March 2008.
- ALI/ABA Trial Evidence in Federal Courts (Newport Beach, CA); February 2008.
- 30th Annual University of Texas Conference on Securities Regulation and Business Law; Key Developments in Securities Litigation (Dallas, Texas); February 2008.
- 2007 PLI Advanced Securities Workshop - Litigation Developments (with William Lerach); August 2007.
- Federal Enforcement Actions Against Gatekeepers; Association of Corporate Counsel of America (San Diego); June 2007.
- 10th Annual ABA National Institute on Class Actions; October 2006.
- Co-Chair, 2006 ABA Annual Meeting (Section of Litigation).
- Conducting Internal Investigations; Association of Corporate Counsel of America (San Diego); April 2006.
- How Do You Get Rid Of A Material Weakness Once Reported?; PLI; September 2005.
- Class Actions in California; 2004 and 2005; Lorman Educational Services. Seven hour program.
- SEC "Hot Topics" Institute; RR Donnelley and Glasser LegalWorks (La Jolla, CA); June 2005.
- 8th Annual Industry Forum D&O Liability Insurance Conference; Hottest Developments in U.S. Securities Class Actions (London, U.K.); March 2005.
- All for One and One for All? Navigating the Changing Landscape of Joint-Defense Agreements; ABA TeleConference and Live Audio Webcast; October 2004.
- Joint Defense Agreements - Changing Landscape; 2004 ABA Section of Litigation Annual Meeting (Phoenix, AZ).
- Juror and Judicial Perceptions of Financial Scandals; 2004 ABA Corporate Counsel Meeting (Palm Desert, CA).
Mr. Fukumura is a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. He is a member of the American Bar Association and recently finished service as a Co-Managing Director of the ABA Section of Litigation after having held various positions within the Section's Leadership since 2000, including election to the Section's Council. He is a member of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (Executive Committee (2005); Regional Governor (2001-2004)). He is currently a member of the Board of Trustees for the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law and the Japanese American National Museum. He was a member of the Board of Directors for the NAPABA Law Foundation, the Union of Pan Asian Communities and the La Jolla Music Society. Mr. Fukumura is admitted to practice in the states of California, Colorado, and Pennsylvania.
- Temple University School of Law
- University of Colorado at Boulder
BA English Literature, 1989
- University of Colorado at Boulder
BA Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, 1989
- All California State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- American Bar Association
- American Business Trial Lawyers Association
- American Inns of Court
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Pan Asian Lawyers of San Diego
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Southwest Center for Asian Pacific American Law