Janet Cullum is a member of the Intellectual Property Litigation Group and resident in the New York office. Her practice focuses on trademark, copyright, advertising and online marketing and privacy issues. Ms. Cullum counsels clients in the selection and adoption of trademarks, the legal aspects of advertising and enforcement and registration of copyrights. In her practice, Ms. Cullum assists her clients to identify and manage intellectual property with the goal of realizing and sustaining the significant competitive advantage that intellectual property provides.
A recognized expert on intellectual property law on the Internet, Ms. Cullum was a prominent member of the Silicon Valley community for many years. In 2007, she relocated to the Firm's New York office. In addition to representing market leading companies in social networking, technology and consumer products, Ms. Cullum is a frequent speaker at national conferences focusing on the legal issues arising in the areas of online commerce, social media, privacy and Internet advertising.
Ms. Cullum has been repeatedly named one of The Best Lawyers in America in the specialty of Intellectual Property Law and Technology Law; and from 2006 to present she has been named to the Super Lawyers list by Law & Politics magazine.
She serves on the Firm's Compensation Committee and is the co-chair of the Firm's Marketing Committee. Previously, she served as Chair of the Firm's Litigation Department and prior to that headed the Trademark, Advertising & Copyright practice group and the Intellectual Property Litigation practice group. In 1986, Ms. Cullum served as a deputy district attorney for the county of Santa Clara as part of a Firm sponsored program with the District Attorney's office, handling six jury cases and a dozen bench trials.
She attended the University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, where she received a JD in 1982 and was elected to the Order of the Coif. Ms. Cullum is admitted to practice in California, New York and the District of Columbia. She is a member of the American Bar Association, and its section of patent trademark and copyright law, and the Santa Clara County Bar Association. She is also a member of the International Trademark Association.
- ISYS Technologies, Inc. v. Google, Inc., Samsung Electronics USA, Inc., Acer America Corp., Amazon.com, Inc. and Best Buy Co., United States District Court, Utah. Counsel for defendant Google, Inc.
- Glenn Reit, D.D.S. v. Yelp! Inc., and John Doe, aka "Michael S.," Supreme Court of the State of New York, County of New York. Counsel for defendant Yelp!, Inc.
- Christian Louboutin S.A.v. Yves Saint Laurent America, Inc., 696 F.3d 206 (2nd Circuit 2012): Counsel for Amicus, International Trademark Association.
- Nimbus Data Systems, Inc. v. Nimble Storage, Inc., United States District Court, Northern District of California. Counsel for defendant Nimble, Inc.
- The Authors Guild, Inc., Association of American Publishers, Inc., et al. v. Google, Inc., United States District Court, Southern District of New York. Counsel for Amicus Curiae, Sony Electronics, Inc.
- Plastic Logic, Inc., v. Pearson Education, Inc., United States District Court, Northern District of California. Counsel for plaintiff Plastic Logic, Inc.
- Multiple Opposition Proceedings, United States Patent and Trademark Office, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Counsel for plaintiff LinkedIn Corp.
- Diascience Corp. v. Blue Nile, Inc., United States District Court, Southern District of New York. Counsel for defendant Blue Nile, Inc.
- Multiple Opposition Proceedings, United States Patent and Trademark Office, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Counsel for plaintiff, Google, Inc.
- Fordham IP Institute Conference 2013, panelist, Performance Rights in Copyright: Public, Private or Digital, New York, New York 2013.
- Knowledge Group Webinar, Advertising Law: What's New for 2013 and Beyond, December 2012.
- Fordham Symposium on IP Law: Role of the Supreme Court in IP, November 9, 2012, New York, New York.
- ALM Litigation Summit, PLI Conference: Social Media Impact on Litigation Costs, November 12, 2012, Washington, D.C.
- Practising Law Institute: Social Media 2011: Addressing Corporate Risk, New York, New York, March 2011
- American Conference Institute: Advanced IP Forum for Advertising Counsel; Panelist, Top Litigators Speak: IP Litigation Considerations for Advertisers; and Workshop Leader: Best Practices for Protecting IP When Employing Social Media; New York, April 2011
- Law Foundation of Silicon Valley Law, General Counsel Convergence; presenter with Michael Rhodes, Social Media Roundtable, San Francisco Bay Area, May 2011
- BlogWorld and New Media Expo 2011; presenter with Erika Napoletano (Redhead Writing), "Naughty, Naughty Blogger: Risks in the Blogosphere;" New York, New York, May 2011
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall)
JD, 1982, Order of the Coif
- California State University, Northridge
BA English, 1972
- American Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- Santa Clara County Bar Association