Jonathan Cross is a special counsel in the Business Litigation practice group and a member of the Firm's Litigation department. He joined Cooley in 2012 and is resident in the New York office.
Mr. Cross' practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and arbitration, with a focus on transnational business disputes as well as project finance and infrastructure-related litigation. He also has experience in advising clients with respect to U.S. economic sanctions, Exon-Florio foreign investment filing issues, and securities and antitrust litigation.
- Currently representing hedge fund group in multiple matters arising out of defaults in secured lending portfolio.
- Currently representing a Swiss private equity firm in connection with litigation concerning sale of a Canadian industrial company.
- Currently representing the court-appointed liquidators of a British Virgin Islands company in connection with fraudulent conveyance claims.
- Currently representing an investment bank in disputes concerning the collection of sums due under engagement letters.
- Represented a Fortune 500 industrial automation and information company in obtaining a $10.1 million jury verdict in a patent infringement case.
- Represented the project owner in connection with disputes arising from construction of 250-megawatt hydroelectric power project in Uganda.
- Represented the project owner in connection with disputes arising from construction of wind power project in Mexico.
- Represented a non-U.S. bank in connection with litigation arising from the MBIA Insurance restructuring and alleged breaches of CDS and financial guaranty contracts.
- Obtained a $25 million New York jury verdict in favor of a Swiss bank against a large Italian bank in a fraud case arising from the sale of notes linked to a subsidiary of Parmalat.
- Obtained a $37 million judgment in favor of trustee in connection with litigation concerning certain offshore trusts.
- Advised international trade association in connection with U.S. economic sanctions issues.
- Represented a major investment bank in connection with investigations involving mutual fund market timing and research analyst practices.
- Represented a telecommunications provider in arbitral proceedings involving breach of an agreement to sell a control stake in a Middle Eastern telecommunications provider.
Prior to joining Cooley, Mr. Cross was Counsel at Chadbourne & Parke LLP in that firm's New York office, and an associate at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP in that firm's New York and London offices.
Mr. Cross obtained his J.D. in 2000 from the University of Pennsylvania School of Law, summa cum laude, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif and served as an Articles Editor for the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. He earned his B.A. in 1997 in Political Science, with high honors, from the University of Rhode Island. He clerked for the Hon. Karen J. Williams of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Mr. Cross is a member of the State Bar of New York and is admitted to practice before the Southern and Northern Districts of New York.
- "New York Continues Assault on MERS," Financial Fraud Law Report, May 2012
- "Regulatory Considerations for Foreign Investment in Alternative Energy & Cleantech," The M&A Lawyer, February 2012
- "Quashing The Circuit Split Over RESPA," Law360, December 9, 2011
- "RICO's Post-'Morrison' Reach: Will Other Courts Adopt the 2nd Circuit's Approach?," Law.com, November 12, 2010
- University of Pennsylvania Law School
JD, 2000, summa cum laude
- University of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York