Cooley's Intellectual Property practice is dedicated to maximizing the value and security of our clients' intellectual property. Our attorneys work closely with businesses across a range of industries, including high technology, digital and social media, life sciences, retail and service, Internet, telecommunications, software, and semiconductor, tailoring solutions to meet their particular needs and stage of development. Whether it is structuring a sophisticated IP-based transaction, formulating patent strategies, assisting with trademark selection and clearance, drafting online license and click-through agreements or defending a company in litigation, we offer advice that assists our clients in meeting their objectives in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
Patent Counseling & Prosecution
Cooley's Patent Prosecution and Counseling attorneys help clients formulate and implement effective IP development and protection strategies. We oversee their interests in a variety of business transactions, such as licensing trade secrets, software and other technology; drafting joint development and strategic alliance arrangements; and addressing the IP aspects of employment and consulting arrangements, including confidentiality, work-for-hire/assignment of rights and noncompetition provisions. We also prepare and file patent applications, evaluate patent portfolios and existing patent technology licenses and structure in-house IP protection processes.
Trademark, Copyright & Advertising
Cooley's Trademark, Copyright & Advertising specialists offer a full range of services related to trademark, copyright and advertising law, including trademark selection, clearance, and registration; licensing trademarks and copyrights; structuring and restructuring trademark ownership; and trademark and copyright support in connection with mergers and acquisitions, investments, private placements, public offerings, financings, credit and security agreements and bankruptcy restructurings. We also provide our clients with advice on advertising issues, including the proper use of trademarks and copyrighted content.
Cooley's Intellectual Property Litigation group excels at delivering winning legal strategies in intellectual property disputes, including patent, Section 337 investigations, copyright, trademark, false advertising, licensing, and trade secret matters. Our clients range from trailblazing start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, all of which benefit from our unique, business-focused approach to developing litigation strategies tailored to each client's definition of success. We invest the time and resources to develop a value-driven client relationship that produces better results, reduces costs, drives increased productivity, and improves the quality of legal services provided to our clients.
Private and public companies with some of the most sophisticated intellectual property portfolios in the world turn to the Firm's attorneys to defend or prosecute their most significant IP cases. Cooley's lawyers understand our clients' businesses and the critical role that IP plays in a highly competitive landscape. It is this business sense, combined with our ability to handle the complicated technical issues that are often intertwined with IP disputes, that separates Cooley from our competitors. Additionally, through our representations of both plaintiffs and defendants, we have an expertise in remedies and damages that better positions our clients to achieve the best possible outcomes.
- Fully integrated IP prosecution, counseling and litigation practice
- Litigated 375+ patent cases since 2005
- Eleven patent trial victories over the past 36 months
- Handling more than 100 active inter partes/ex parte reviews/reexaminations
- Prepared and filed 6,000+ U.S. patent applications and managed 14,000+ U.S. filings/prosecutions and 17,000+ foreign filings over the past five years
- Managing 17,500+ trademarks, including 1,750+ applications initiated and 1,150+ applications granted in 2012
- Ranked in the top 10 among AmLaw 100 firms for top trademark filers in 2012
- 90+ IP attorneys with undergraduate degrees in scientific fields, including computer science, electrical engineering, biology, chemistry and mechanical engineering
- 60+ IP attorneys with graduate degrees in scientific fields (M.S. and Ph.D.)
- 100+ IP litigators and 60+ "U.S.P.T.O. registered" practitioners
- One of the largest trademark and copyright groups found in any of the AmLaw 100 law firms with 16 lawyers, including 4 partners, and 8 paralegals
- Named to The National Law Journal's "Intellectual Property Hot List," an exclusive recognition that Cooley received in 2012 and 2013 for its innovative strategies in patent, copyright and trademark legal services
- Ranked 5th overall for total number of federal patent case representations (90), a 15% increase from the previous year, in the 2013 edition of Corporate Counsel's Patent Litigation Survey
- In the Financial Times "U.S. Innovative Lawyers 2012" report, Cooley was heralded in two of the top three IP litigation spots for its representations of Facebook (against Yahoo!) and Onyx Pharmaceuticals (against Bayer AG) in high-stakes IP disputes
- Recognized as one of the top IP practices in the U.S. by Chambers USA and Legal 500
- Ranked in Tier 1 nationwide for patent litigation in U.S. News' Best Law Firms (2012/2013)
- Ranked 5th in Corporate Counsel's ITC litigation survey for total number of Section 337 investigation representations in 2012, and the 4th most active law firm for respondent representations
- Received the Silver Award for "Best USA IP Firm: Trademark" at the 2013 International Legal Alliance Summit & Awards
- Received Managing Intellectual Property's "Trademark Contentious Firm of the Year – West" award in 2012 and 2013
- Named one of the most outstanding trademark litigation and non-contentious (full-coverage) trademark practices in the U.S. by Legal 500
- Recognized by Managing Intellectual Property as "U.S. Trademark Contentious Firm of the Year" in 2010 and was a finalist for the award in 2011, 2012 and 2013