Cooley's Emerging Companies practice has a long tradition of representing emerging and high-growth companies worldwide. Over the past decade, we have represented hundreds of technology-based and high-growth businesses in various fields (information technology, life sciences, medical devices, healthcare, clean technology, retail, finance, energy, communications, insurance, manufacturing and media) with all aspects of their formation and development.
Our team-oriented service approach offers our clients the flexibility to call on attorneys who are familiar with their products, technology and business models and who understand the tactical decisions made by executive management. In fact, we frequently complement a client's management team by serving as virtual general counsel, acting as a senior member of the team and participating in board-level discussions.
JOBS Act Resource Center
Highlights of the key provisions of the JOBS Act and what they mean for entrepreneurs.
- Represent over 3,000 emerging companies in all industries, including software and information technology, telecommunications, semiconductors, life sciences, and clean technologies
- Extensive experience in all aspects of practice: corporate formation, venture financing, employee incentives, intellectual property protection, employment and severance matters, mergers and acquisitions, bankruptcy and litigation
- Help clients identify appropriate financing sources and assist with introductions to those sources
- Review client business plans and meet with founding teams to assist them in identifying their key strengths and weaknesses before approaching financing sources and other potential founders
- Help clients structure the transfer of intellectual property from founders, universities and other third parties in light of their business models, organizational needs and strategic direction
- Assist clients in structuring the commercialization of their products or services in coordination with our Technology Transactions or Life Sciences groups
- Attend board meetings and offer strategic advice and assistance in forming and maintaining an effective board of directors during a company's initial phases
- Skilled in advising clients on financing strategies and in managing and implementing virtually any type of financing transaction—from venture capital and mezzanine private placements; to initial and follow on public offerings; to PIPES deals, Rule 144A, convertible debenture and Regulation S placements
Rankings and Accolades
- Wall Street Journal's Top 50 Venture-Backed Companies
Serve as corporate counsel for 22% of the Wall Street Journal's Top 50 Venture-Backed Companies (2012), more than any other law firm
- Silicon Alley Insider Digital 100 Companies
Involved with 20% of the Silicon Alley Insider Digital 100 companies, an annual ranking of the world's most valuable private digital startups
- Inc. 5000 List of the Fastest Growing Companies
Have 126 active clients on the Inc. 5000 list of the fastest growing companies in the United States
- Deloitte's "Technology Fast 500"
Represent One-in-Five Companies on Deloitte's "Technology Fast 500" List
- Washington DC's Tech Titans
Work with 60% of the Entrepreneurs and more than half of the Dealmakers on Washington DC's Tech Titans list
- San Jose Mercury News' SV 150
Work with 1/3rd of the San Jose Mercury News' SV 150, a ranking of the top public tech companies in Silicon Valley
- Time Magazine's #1 Business Deal of 2012
Legal advisor in Time Magazine's #1 Business Deal of 2012 – Yelp IPO
- Ranked #2 in Private Company Financing Deals
Ranked #2 nationally in number of private company financing deals in 2012, #3 in 2011 and #2 for the past nine years
- Ranked #2 nationally for U.S. Venture-Backed IPOs
#2 nationally as issuer-side legal counsel for U.S. venture-backed IPOs from 2010 - 2012; Cooley has ranked in the top 3 for issuer-side counsel to venture-backed IPOs five of the last six years, including #1 in 2006 and 2008