Cooley Reports on 2012 Venture Financing Trends
Palo Alto, Calif. – February 8, 2013 – Cooley LLP today released its most recent report on venture capital financing trends, analyzing 382 US venture financing transactions nationwide in 2012, in which Cooley served as counsel to either the issuing company or the investors. Among deals analyzed, aggregate dollars raised reached more than $4.9 billion.
Highlights of the report include:
- Aggregate dollars raised reached $4.9 billion, a decline from over $6 billion of invested capital seen in 2011
- The first half of 2012 was on pace to exceed all years since 2007, but the second half of the year saw volumes decline markedly
- Series B pre-money valuations rose to $30 million, a level not seen since 2007
- There was a decrease in the number and percentage of 2012 deals with median pre-money valuations greater than $100 million
- Up rounds accounted for 75% of all deals, up from 69% in 2011
- There was a decrease in the number of recapitalization transactions and in the number of tranched deals, signaling continued investor confidence
A complete version of the report can be found here.
About Cooley LLP
Cooley's 700 attorneys have an entrepreneurial spirit and deep, substantive experience, and are committed to solving clients' most challenging legal matters. From small companies with big ideas to international enterprises with diverse legal needs, Cooley has the breadth of legal resources to enable companies of all sizes to seize opportunities in today's global marketplace. The firm represents clients across a broad array of dynamic industry sectors, including technology, life sciences, venture capital, clean energy, real estate and retail.
The firm has full-service offices in eleven major business and technology centers: Boston, MA; Broomfield, CO; Los Angeles, CA; New York, NY; Palo Alto, CA; Reston, VA; San Diego, CA; San Francisco, CA; Seattle, WA; Washington, DC; and Shanghai, China.