Cooley's 59 Percent Increase in Patent Litigation Cases Featured in Corporate Counsel 2012 Survey
Palo Alto, Calif. – December 10, 2012 – Cooley LLP announced today that it saw a significant increase in its number of patent litigation representations filed in 2011, according to Corporate Counsel's 2012 Patent Litigation Survey. In 2011, Cooley handled 78 cases, up from 49 in 2010, a 59% increase.
"As evidenced by this impressive increase in cases handled this year, Cooley continues to stand out as a go-to firm for businesses faced with complex patent litigation," said Jim Brogan, partner and chair of Cooley's Intellectual Property practice group. "We have a uniquely well-balanced cross-section of litigators, counselors and other IP professionals across our national practice, who come together to provide clients with the right course of action for each unique set of circumstances – including all levels of courtroom expertise."
According to the survey, Cooley was ranked 12th overall for its patent litigation work; it was ranked 15th for plaintiff side representations, and 11th for defense side representations. Cooley saw a 41% increase in the total number of plaintiff cases with 17 cases handled in 2011, up from 12 cases in 2010. Cooley also handled 61 defense side cases in 2011, which marked a 65% increase from 2010 in which it advised on 37 cases.
Cooley has more than 115 IP attorneys and over 60 other IP professionals and represents many of the world's leading technology and life sciences companies. The firm was recently named to the National Law Journal's Intellectual Property Hot List 2012, which highlights the leading IP law firms in the United States. In addition, Cooley was recognized by the Financial Times as one of the top 25 most innovative firms in the US and was heralded as a "standout" firm for its handling of two complex IP litigations and corporate resolutions for clients Facebook (against Yahoo) and Onyx (against Bayer). Uniquely in the FT report, Cooley held two of the top-three rankings in the IP section, "Patent Lore." Cooley's IP Litigation group consistently advises clients on some of their most complex patent litigation matters in the country. Recent case highlights include:
- Obtained summary judgment on all remaining claims in a $1 billion suit alleging patent infringement and misappropriation of technology from Cooley client Qualcomm.
- Led Facebook to a successful resolution of its high-profile patent dispute with Yahoo.
- Negotiated a settlement halfway through a federal trial that included a $160 million lump sum payment to Cooley client Onyx Pharmaceuticals, as well as created several new sources of revenue for the company.
- Defeated a bid for a preliminary injunction against Cooley client Gevo, by Butamax (joint venture between BP and DuPont).
- Achieved a favorable summary determination for Chimei Innolux and Innolux Corporation in an ITC Section 337 investigation concerning the importation of computer monitors.
- Won an important jury trial victory and a $10.1 million patent infringement award for Rockwell Automation against a key competitor.
- Secured a trial win before the Chief Judge of the ITC for a global consumer electronics company.
About Cooley LLP
Cooley's 700 attorneys have an entrepreneurial spirit and deep, substantive experience, and are committed to solving clients' most challenging legal matters. From small companies with big ideas to international enterprises with diverse legal needs, Cooley has the breadth of legal resources to enable companies of all sizes to seize opportunities in today's global marketplace. The firm represents clients across a broad array of dynamic industry sectors, including technology, life sciences, venture capital, clean energy, real estate and retail.
The firm has full-service offices in eleven major business and technology centers: Boston, MA; Broomfield, CO; Los Angeles, CA; New York, NY; Palo Alto, CA; Reston, VA; San Diego, CA; San Francisco, CA; Seattle, WA; Washington, DC; and Shanghai, China.