For over 30 years, attorneys in our Life Sciences practice group have played an instrumental role in the growth of many of the industry's leading life sciences companies. Our client base includes both public and private companies, based in the U.S. and abroad, and spans the breadth of the life science industry sectors from therapeutics to drug delivery and formulation to medical technology and devices. Key clients include: Gilead Sciences, Inc., Gen-Probe, Inc., Vical, Inc., and Volcano Therapeutics; for a more complete list of clients, click here.
We deliver an unparalleled combination of innovative legal expertise, deep industry knowledge and practical understanding of our clients' business needs.
Because of our deep domain expertise we are often called upon to represent venture capital clients in their investments in life sciences companies, as well as the investment banks and lending institutions servicing those companies.
- Since 2001, we have completed 125 Life Sciences public offerings, including 31 IPOs
- We have closed more than 90 M&A deals for life sciences companies since 2000, with a total deal value in excess of $25 billion
- Our dedicated life science transactions team of 23 attorneys have completed more than 40 deals valued in excess of $20.3 billion since 2005.
Rankings and Accolades
- Ranked #1 in issuer-side Life Science IPOs from 2000 to present (Source: IPO Vital Signs
- Ranked #1 and #2, respectively in the U.S. for representation of venture-backed Biotech/Pharmaceuticals companies in 2007 and 2008 (Source: VentureSource)
- Ranked #1 in Life Sciences by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business in 2007, 2008 and 2009
- Ranked #2 in the U.S. as counsel to health care pre-IPO clients securing capital (Source: The Venture Capital Analyst, Healthcare Edition, 2006)
- Ranked in top 10 nationally as underwriters' counsel for life sciences IPOs filed from 2004 to 2008 (Source: IPO Vital Signs)
- Allicense "Breakthrough Deal of the Year" awarded to multiple Cooley transactions:
- 2007: Affymax/ Takeda
- 2006: Nuvelo/ Bayer
- 2003: Eli Lilly/Amylin (also nominated: GSK/Exelixis)
- 2002: Eli Lilly/ISIS Pharmaceuticals (also nominated: BMS/Exelixis)
- 2000: Innovex/CV Therapeutics
Life Science Industry Knowledge
Many of our attorneys have practical business experience, or have earned advanced degrees in relevant life science disciplines
- 75 attorneys with undergraduate degrees in scientific or clinical fields, including Chemistry, Biology, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Medicine and Nursing
- 33 attorneys with graduate degrees in scientific fields (M.S. and Ph.D.)
Our attorneys have deep expertise across all aspects of life sciences technologies:
|Biosimilars||Drug discovery tools||Proteomics|
|Biotechnology||Drug formulation||Screening assays|
|Chemicals||Laboratory instrumentation||Surgical tools|
|CLIA laboratories||Medical devices||Therapeutics|
|Delivery devices||Medical foods||Vaccines|